|Date (Time)|| Tuesday: April 30 (6:30 p.m. CT)
|Location|| Lupton Stadium | Fort Worth, Texas
| Starting Pitchers
|| Tuesday: Trey Teakell vs. TBA
|Radio Listing||KTCU 88.7 FM|
|Game Notes||Game Notes|
|Twitter Updates||Baseball Twitter|
The TCU baseball team will make a brief stop at home Tuesday night when they host Texas Southern. First pitch is set for 6:30.
• TCU's streak of three straight conference series wins came to an end at Kansas State this past weekend.
• Despite the series loss, the pitching staff held the nation's best hitting team to a .242 batting average over the weekend.
• TCU ranks second in the Big 12 with its 2.78 ERA.
• Jantzen Witte extended his hitting streak to nine games as he posted a team-best .556 batting average (5-for-9).
• Kyle Bacak has hit safely in each of the last seven games.
• Brandon Finnegan and Preston Morrison are among the top 10 pitchers in the league with their 2.12 and 1.31 ERAs, respectively.
• Cody Jones swiped a pair of bases over the weekend to bring his season total to eight.
• Defensively, the Frogs rank second in the Big 12 with a .975 fielding percentage.
• Finnegan earned an invite to participate on the USA Collegiate National Team this summer.
TEXAS SOUTHERN NOTABLES
• Texas Southern has just two wins in its last nine games played.
• The Tigers lost two out of three at Arkansas-Pine Bluff this past weekend.
• Ellis Stephney paces the Tigers offensively in batting average (.349), home runs (3) and RBIs (25).
• Speed is a big part of the Tigers games as they have 73 stolen bases in 95 attempts.
• Jerry Ford II leds the team with 19 stolen bases.
• Defensivley, the Tigers have committed 47 errors for a .969 fielding percentage.
• On the mound, Texas Southern boasts a 5.12 ERA.
• Michael Starkey is the go-to guy in the bullpen with four saves in 17 appearances.
• Opponents are hitting .278 against the pitching staff.
• The Tigers aren't afraid to be hit by the pitch as they have 60 total this season.
• TCU and Texas Southern will be meeting for the fifth time on Tuesday.
• The Horned Frogs hold a 4-0-0 series record.
• TCU and Texas Southern last met on the diamond in 1990.
• TCU swept a doubleheader from the Tigers on April 3, winning game one 4-3 and game two 15-2.
• The Frogs also swept a doubleheader on March 1, 1987. TCU won game one 6-1 and game two 19-0.
• Tuesday will mark the Horned Frogs' 13 home game in the month of April.
• The Frogs have just four home games remaining in 2013 after Tuesday night.
• TCU is 7-5 at Lupton Stadium in the month of April.
• The Horned Frogs have an all-time record of 245-89 at home.
• After 24 home games, TCU ranks 11th nationally in attendance, averaging almost 3,600 fans per game.
• TCU is 47-21 under head coach Jim Schlossnagle in home midweek contests.
NO STRANGER TO CLOSE GAMES
Twelve of TCU's last 14 games have been decided by three runs or less. All three contests against Baylor were decided by one run, while two of the three games against Kansas State were decided by three runs or less.
Fourteen of the Horned Frogs 43 games this season have been decided by one run. The Frogs own a 6-8 record in those contests, including three of the last five.
Additionally, the Frogs have played in six game decided by two runs. Overall, TCU is 10-18 in games decided by three runs or less.
FINDING HIS STROKE
Kyle Bacak is in the midst of a career-long seven game hitting streak that has seen him raise his batting average from .221 to .257.
In the last seven games, Bacak is hitting .375 (9-for-24). He has two multi-hit games and has scored five times while collecting a pair of RBIs.
On April 10, Bacak's average was .214. Since that time, he is hitting .355 (11-for-31). Bacak has hit safely in eight of the 10 games played.
RINGING THEM UP
The Horned Frog pitching staff ranks second in the league with 343 strikeouts. The Frogs are one of three teams with 300 strikeouts on the season.
This past weekend, the Frogs added 20 punchouts to their tally. The pitching staff has 55 punchouts in the last six games played. Thirteen times this season, the Frog pitchers have fanned at least 10 batters in a game.
TCU ranks 12th nationally in K:BB ratio a 3.0 K/BB. The Frog pitching staff has issued just 114 walks on the season. TCU is also 35th nationally in K/9 at 7.9.
A dismal start to April saw Jantzen Witte battle through an 0-for-19 slump. A fourth-inning base hit against Oklahoma State on April 13 kick-started a nine-game hitting streak that has seen Witte raise his average 32 points.
Witte is hitting .400 (14-for-35) during the streak. He has four multi-hit games during the streak. He leads all Horned Frogs with a .344 batting average during conference play.