Five TCU pitchers held Texas Southern to just two hits and just four base runners en route to a 4-0 win Tuesday night at Lupton Stadium. Cody Jones tallied two hits and was on base all four times in the game.
Trey Teakell started for the Horned Frogs and struck out two batters in his lone inning of work. Stefan Crichton (3-3) came on in relief and retired 12 of the 13 batters he faced in four innings of work. Trevor Seidenberger struck out two in his 2 1/3 innings of work. Justin Scharf retired both batters he faced in the eighth. Riley Ferrell struck out the side around a two-out hit in the ninth.
Texas Southern didn't have a runner advance past second base in the contest. The Tigers had a first-inning base runner courtesy of a hitbatter. Crichton surrendered a two-out base hit in the second then retired the next 10 batters he faced. The only blemish on Seidenberger's line was a lead-off error in the seventh that moved to second on a sacrifice bunt.
TCU scored twice without the benefit of a hit in the first inning to take a lead it would never relinquish. Cody Jones was hit by a pitch leading off the frame. After stealing second, a wild pitch had Jones standing on third. Following a walk to Boomer White, an error on a shallow fly ball allowed Jones to score the first run of the game. Jantzen Witte followed with a sacrifice fly to right to drive in the second run of the inning.
The Frogs stranded runners in second and third inning but were able to capitalize in the fourth inning to push the lead to three. Cody Jones worked a two-out walk and stole second. A balk had Jones standing on third and he scored easily on a Boomer White base hit for a 3-0 lead.
The Frogs scored for the final time in the seventh inning. Derek Odell ripped a single up the middle with one out and raced around thebases on a double off the wall from Kevin Cron.
TCU improves to 21-23 on the season. The Frogs will hit the road for six straight beginning Thursday night at USC. Game time against the Trojans is set for 8 p.m. (CST).
• The Horned Frogs notched their fifth shutout of the season.
• TCU improved to 8-3 in midweek games this season.
• The two hits allowed ties for the fewest surrendered this season. TCU gave up just two hits at Dallas Baptist on Feb. 26.
• Trey Teakell has not allowed a run in his last 13 1/3 innings pitched.
• The TCU pitching staff struck out 10 batters in the game. It's the 14th time this season the Frogs have recorded double-digit strikeouts in a game.
• TCU stole a season-high eight bases in the game.
• Kevin Cron, Cody Jones and Paul Hendrix each notched a pair of stolen bases in the contest. Jantzen Witte and Jerrick Suiter tallied the other two.
• Cody Jones pushed his hitting streak to four games. He collected his ninth multi-hit game of the season.
• Jantzen Witte reached base safely for the 12th straight game.