Welcome back to the Monday Morning Manager, where a week off was much needed. Too much travel and work for this tired body. But, I am feeling quite refreshed and ready to go now, so thanks for waiting.
Real quick before we get started, we have added a TCU Recruiting widget to the left side of the screen which will link you to both of my 2012 Class Write Ups for what should be an excellent incoming class. I have plenty to say on this class, coming up shortly.
One final plug, we talked lots of TCU Baseball on Episode #4 of the Frogs O' War podcast which should be uploaded in the near future. Make sure and listen, lots of other goodies in there.
- The MLB draft is 27 days away and if you aren't sweating yet, you should be. As it stands right now, the Frogs will likely lose a bunch of talent from this year's team including a couple of guys from the 2012 class. Let's go through the guys that I think, as of today, are going to get drafted and sign professional contracts.
- Seniors: Jason Coats & Brance Rivera
- Juniors: Josh Elander, Kyle Von Tungeln, Kaleb Merck and Kevin Allen
- Incoming Freshmen: Jake Thompson, Austin Aune, Austin Fairchild, Riley Ferrell.
#TCU Baseball has another commit, 2012 Catcher Paddy O'Brien. Switched him from Santa Clara, should be good catcher depth for Frogs.— Fungo Frog (@FungoFrogTCU) May 6, 2012
2012 Season Stats: 6 Games (2-2), 3.52 ERA, 33/9 SO/BB
WEEKEND SERIES REVIEW
- As we talked about before, it was best to look at the last week as a four game series. And, if you were projecting out before the series started, a 3-4 finish with the loss coming vs. NM would be the best option next to a sweep. Well, the Frogs didn't sweep, but they did do good work and today are sitting pretty in terms of RPI (33), SOS (46) and ranking (Baseball America: #24, Perfect Game #23).
- You have to love the genius with the way Schloss and Mazey handled the pitching staff over this stretch. They were able to get their best four arms, Mitchell/Morrison/Crichton/Finnegan into a lot of play and guys like Trey Teakell, Kevin Allen and Justin Scharf stepped up to fill in the holes. If you are comparing this weekend's performance against any other four game stretch this year, I think you have to say this is the best TCU has played all year.
- How big was that two RBI double for Kevin Cron in Sunday's rubber match? I have been waiting for that type of production and big hit from him all year long, so when he slapped that hit in to the right field gap I literally jumped up and screamed. No doubt, he was doing the same. If you include Sunday, Cron is now hitting .310/.366/.393 on the season, not bad and getting better with every game (only five XBH, more please!).
- The Frogs get a much deserved break this week with finals on the schedule, but will head out to Colorado Springs on Thursday ahead of their weekend series at Air Force. I hate playing in Colorado Springs, we always seem to struggle their, in every sport. The Frogs have seven regular season games left in 2012, three at Air Force, three vs. San Diego State at home and one road matchup at Oklahoma. Then, its MWC Tournament time and final preparations will begin for what is likely to be a regional matchup at Rice/Baylor/Texas A&M.
TCU Manhattan game 1 highlights 2012.avi (via HornedFrogBaseball)
tcu manhattan game 2 highlights 2012.avi (via HornedFrogBaseball)
TCU OU highlights 2012.avi (via HornedFrogBaseball)
Derek Odell Walkoff Single TCU Horned Frogs vs Oklahoma Sooners (via MarqueeTcu)
Andrew Cashner (Padres)
Jake Arrieta (Orioles)
Matt Carpenter (Cardinals)
Scott Atchison (Red Sox)
Low A Short Season
Jerome Pena (Orioles)- Aberdeen Ironbirds