TCU came away with a win on Thursday night, despite things being a little closer than Frog fans were comfortable with. Make no mistake, Minnesota is a very good team, and should contend for the B1G West division title this season. That defense is stout, and it's good that the Frogs saw something like that early on, so they know what they need to continue working on.
All that being said, there were some interesting stats accumulated last night, from both a team and player perspective.
- Trevone Boykin accumulated 338 total yards of offense (246 passing, 92 rushing). It was the 14th time in his career he has totaled at least 300 yards of offense.
- Boykin's 92 rushing yards are identical to the number of rushing yards he had against Minnesota in 2014.
- Boykin’s 11-yard touchdown pass to Josh Doctson, on the second play after the Carraway fumble recovery, extended his streak to 16 consecutive games with a scoring toss. It’s tied for the third-longest streak in the nation.
- Boykin had a 19-yard touchdown carry on the opening possession of the second half. It was the 19th scoring run of his career.
- Eight Horned Frogs caught passes against Minnesota, including four who were sophomores or younger.
- Josh Doctson led the team with eight receptions for 74 yards, including an 11-yard touchdown reception in the first quarter.
- Jaden Oberkrom nailed a 53-yard field goal for the first score of the game. Oberkrom now holds three of the five longest made field goals in TCU history (56, 53, 53).
- Derrick Kindred led the team with nine tackles. He also forced a fumble.
- New starters Nick Orr and Mike Freeze both totaled seven tackles. Redshirt Freshman Ty Summers also had seven tackles.
- Shaun Nixon racked up five receptions for 43 yards in his college debut.
- With a team-high 92 yards rushing, Boykin went over the 1,500-yard mark for his career. He entered the game with 1,437 yards and now has 1,529.
- The Horned Frogs are now 95-3 under Patterson when allowing 17 points or less.
- TCU improved to 31-3 when taking the field as a top-10 team under head coach Gary Patterson, including a 20-1 mark as a top-5 team.
- TCU's offense racked up 449 total yards and 25 first downs, but committed two turnovers in or near the red zone.
- The Horned Frogs had 203 yards rushing and are now 72-4 under Patterson when running for at least 200 yards.
- TCU extended its nation’s-best streak to 26 consecutive games with a takeaway.
- TCU scored for the 281st consecutive game. It's the nation's second-longest current streak and tied for fourth all-time in NCAA history. The Horned Frogs haven't been blanked since Nov. 16, 1991 at Texas (32-0).
- The Horned Frogs are 5-1 versus Big Ten opponents under Patterson, with wins over Minnesota (2), Northwestern (2), and Wisconsin. Their only loss came to Michigan State in the 2012 Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl.
- TCU is 11-4 in season openers under Patterson.
*Most stats provided by GoFrogs.com