Lots of movement in the poll this week, as we examine which team is the best in Texas with two games in the books for most squads. There are changes at the top and bottom in week two, as well as some shuffling in the middle. Come now, let’s all laugh at the struggles of our rivals.
- TCU (2-0): The Frogs have undeniably the best win in the state so far this season, as they dominated Arkansas on the road to the tune of a 28-7 victory. While the offense was uneven, the defense was stout, putting the Big 12 on notice that Gary Patterson is back, baby. Next up is the I-30 rivalry, as the Frogs tangle with the Ponies in Fort Worth. The Frogs moved up to 20th in the Coach’s and AP polls, remaining the only team from the state in the top 25.
- Houston (1-0): The Cougars finally had the chance to take the field, and made the most of their opportunity by beating a decent Pac 12 team in the Arizona Wildcats, giving Major Applewhite the dub in his coaching debut. It was an ugly win of sorts, as the Cougs only managed 19 points behind QB Kyle Allen, but the defense held the Cats to 16 on the road.
- Texas Tech (1-0): The Red Raiders took on a talented Bye Week team, and though they surrendered several long touchdowns, they were able to hold on in the end.
- UTSA (1-0): One of only three Texas teams with a P5 win this weekend, the Road Runners opened their 2017 campaign by traveling to Waco and becoming the second team to give Baylor a loss on their home field. A great defensive performance and just enough on offense gave UTSA one of the bigger wins in program history, even if it was only the Bears. The final of 17-10 was probably not indicative of how the game played out, as BU was uninterested at best.
- Texas (1-1): CHAMPIONSHIP GRIT was displayed as Texas welcomed in an overmatched San Jose State team that was just happy to get some good BBQ. It was laughably bad early for the Horns, who struggled initially under true freshman QB Sam Ehlinger, but after managing just a single score in the first quarter, Herman turned to his running game and racked up over 400 yards on their way to a 56-0 thumping. The inept Spartans never scored and rarely threatened, and we can all start talking about Texas being back yet again.
- Rice (1-1): The Owls were probably thankful to get back in a regular routine; after taking on Stanford in Australia and returning stateside to be confronted by Harvey, the Owls got to focus on football a bit and showed actual grit in defeating UTEP by a score of 31-14.
- Texas A&M: If I had a quarter for every time the Aggies let the state of Texas down, I would have a Nicholl. It took A&M all four quarters to dispatch Nicholls State at home Saturday, a week after choking away a road game in LA. It seems Aggy had a bit of a hangover still, as they couldn’t put the Colonels away until late, and barely hung on for a 24-14 win. Oh, Aggy.
- UNT: The Mean Green struggled mightily with SMU Saturday, as the Ponies put up at least two scores per quarter on their way to a dominating 54-32 win. Of course, putting up 32 was a positive sign for North Texas, who appear poised for a much better 2017.
- Texas State (1-1): Colorado is a really good football team. Texas State? Meh, not so much. The Buffs ran all over the Bobcats on their way to an easy 37-3 win, one in which Texas State couldn’t score in the first half and rarely threatened. You’re trending the wrong direction, ‘Cats.
- UTEP (0-2): I have a soft spot for the Miners, who have a former student of mine on the roster. But, after falling to 0-2 on the year with a 31-14 defeat at the hands of Rice, it looks like it’s going to be a long year for UTEP.
- Baylor (0-2): HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA BAYLOR IS 0-2 AND HAS YET TO PLAY A POWER FIVE TEAM AND FROM HERE ON OUT ALL THEY PLAY ARE POWER FIVE TEAM. After falling to UTSA Saturday, the Bears traveling to Durham to take on a Duke squad that just housed a pretty good Northwestern program, and then start Big 12 play (by hosting Oklahoma omg). Baylor has to play at Kansas but gets Iowa State at home... but... seriously... where are their wins going to come from?
- A Team of People Wearing Super Frog Costumes
- Aledo High School
- My NCAA 14 TCU Dynasty
- Arlington Optimist U-8s
Unranked- SMU (2-0): It’s hate week. Suck it, Ponies.