It’s a series of massive proportions for both teams, even if the reasons are completely different. For TCU, continuing their dominance over the Red Raiders at Lupton (12-6 all time) keeps their faint postseason hopes alive, while Tech is trying to stay in the mix for a conference championship. This rivalry, one of the best in the Big 12 since TCU joined six years ago, won’t have the same juice nationally with the Frogs unranked and sitting below .500 in league play, but you can be sure it will mean plenty to the teams involved.
Friday: LHP Nick Lodolo (5-3, 5.19 ERA) vs. RHP Davis Martin (6-2, 2.52 ERA) | 8 p.m. | FS1 | KTCU 88.7 FM | Live Stats
Saturday: RHP Charles King (1-1, 3.13 ERA) vs. Caleb Kilian (6-1, 2.01 ERA) | 7 p.m. | ESPNU | KTCU 88.7 FM | Live Stats
Sunday: TBA vs. John McMillon (4-2, 3.54 ERA) | 1 p.m. | ESPNU | KTCU 88.7 FM | Live Stats
Two things stand out when you look at the preview:
- all three games are on TV (gulp)
- Sean Wymer is, once again, not in the rotation
The Frogs, who are already without ace Jared Janczak, now are possibly without Wymer, who has struggled this year but is as talented as any pitcher in the rotation. It’s a rotation that has been inconsistent at best this season, with a combined record of 12-10 (Nick Lodolo has five of those wins) and an ERA that averages out to around 4.00. With Charles King slotted to fill Janczak’s spot, the Frogs will likely turn to Russell Smith (who has turned a corner on Tuesday nights, albeit against lesser competition), or possibly Caleb Sloan or Jake Eissler. It’s a tough spot for a team already shorthanded, and playing the best team they have seen all year.
Courtesy of Go Frogs:
• TCU put up the most runs its scored in a single game this year with a 15-5 win over SFA on Tuesday night.
• TCU is in a stretch where it is playing 11 of 12 games at home.
• TCU is 3-2 in series played at home this season, including 1-1 in Big 12 series.
• TCU ranks eighth in the Big 12 in batting average (.265), third in ERA (3.68) and sixth in fielding percentage (.968).
• The TCU pitching staff boasts the third-most strikeouts in the Big 12 (362). The Frogs rank 26th nationally in K:BB ratio (2.68) and 16th in K/9 (9.7).
• TCU has allowed the second-fewest stolen bases in the Big 12 (22).
• Durbin Feltman needs just one save more to tie Riley Ferrell’s career record of 32.
• A.J. Balta enters the weekend carrying a 16-game on-base streak, while Zach Humphreys owns a six-game on-base streak.
• Balta’s team-leading 14 doubles are tied for the fourth most in the Big 12.
TEXAS TECH NOTABLES
• Texas Tech enter the weekend on a two-game losing skid after dropping the series finale to Oklahoma and a midweek tilt at Arkansas.
• The Red Raiders boast the fifth-best batting average in the nation (.315) and have drawn the fifth-most walks (243) in the NCAA.
• Texas Tech leads the Big 12 and ranks sixth nationally wiht 58 home runs led by Zach Rheams’ 11.
• Josh Jung is one of 14 players nationally with a .400 batting average.
• The Red Raiders’ 4.02 ERA ranks fourth in the Big 12, while their .972 fielding percentage ranks second.
• Texas Tech has surrendered the third-most stolen bases in the league (53) and has thrown out just seven runners attempting to steal.
• The Red Raider pitching staff has issued the most walks in the Big 12 (216).
• Davis Martin leads the Big 12 with a 2.52 ERA.
• TCU and Texas Tech are meeting for the 168th time Friday night.
• TCU leads the all-time series 92-74-1, including a mark of 24-12 under head coach Jim Schlossnagle.
• Texas Tech took 2-of-3 in Lubbock in the regular season last season.
• Since joining the Big 12, Texas Tech has won four of the six series.
• Texas Tech leads the regular-season series 8-7 since TCU joined the Big 12 in 2013.
• TCU is 12-6 all-time against the Red Raiders at Lupton Stadium.