clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

TCU defeats SMU 42-12, sets school record for consecutive wins vs. Mustangs

The Frogs move to 2-0, but things were shaky at the start.

TCU Football at SMU | Gerald J. Ford Stadium | September 7, 2018
TCU Football at SMU | Gerald J. Ford Stadium | September 7, 2018
Melissa Triebwasser

The game may have started two hours late thanks to a lightning delay, but SMU wasted no time making life hell for TCU once the teams were on the field.

The Mustangs took the opening kickoff and went 75 yards on five plays, including a 51-yard touchdown run from Braeden West, to take a 7-0 lead on the Frogs. TCU’s tackling was lackluster early on, as multiple players missed tackles they normally make, and the defensive line was pushed around.

In fact, on SMU’s first two drives they gained 108 yards, while TCU’s O struggled mightily out of the gate.

Two dropped passes, poor blocking along the line, and some bad throws from Robinson led to two quick punts for the Frogs. On the second punt, disaster struck. A high snap went over Adam Nunez’s head, and several players booted the ball around until it rolled out of the endzone. The result was a safety, and a 9-0 lead for SMU.

At that point, though, the tides began to turn.

After a three-and-out for SMU, TCU took the ball and started to put a drive together. Unfortunately, the drive ended in a missed field goal from Cole Bunce, who hit the crossbar on his 49-yard attempt.

Another three-and-out for SMU resulted in another punt, and this time, KaVontae Turpin took matters into his own hands.

With TCU now down just two, 9-7, and TCU’s defense starting to roll, the Frogs asserted themselves in the second half. After allowing 114 yards to SMU’s offense in the first quarter, TCU’s D gave up just 49 in the second quarter, and allowing just a field goal.

The Frogs would put seven more on the board, thanks to some good luck. Sewo Olonilua broke free for a big run, but fumbled the ball as he dashed towards the endzone. As the ball rolled into the endzone, Jaelan Austin fell on it, scoring the touchdown for TCU, putting them up 14-9.

Everything looked like TCU was heading towards opening the game up, as they forced two more three-and-outs, and started driving again. However, a botched snap from Kellton Hollins resulted in a turnover, and SMU kicked a 49-yard field goal as the half expired, giving the Frogs just a 14-12 lead at the half.

The second half was just as weird as the first, with Shawn Robinson throwing a terrible interception as TCU marched down the field. It once again seemd as if SMU had all the momentym, until Ben Banogu involved himself.

Banogu hit Ben Hicks as SMU’s QB tried to run, forcing a fumble. Alec Dunham scooped up the ball, and ran it back 25 yards for the score, giving TCU a 21-12 lead.

The Frogs wouldn’t look back.

After another three and out from SMU, TCU marched down the field on three plays and scored on an 18-yard touchdown run by Shawn Robinson. Initially ruled out at the one, the play was reviewed, and showed that Robinson reached out and got the ball over the goal line, giving TCU a 28-12 lead with 7:28 left in the third quarter.

There wouldn’t be any more scoring in the third, but TCU’s defense would continue to harass Ben Hicks, forcing bad throws and getting sacks. TCU moved into SMU territory at the end of the quarter, taking a 28-12 lead into the final frame.

On the second play of the fourth quarter, though, the Frogs would find paydirt again. SMU sent a blitz, but Robinson stood tall and delivered a pass to Turpin over the middle. Turpin did the rest, turning on the jets and going untouched for a 42-yard score.

Shawn Robinson would exit the game a series later, after getting a bit banged up on a scramble. Michael Collins entered the game after another great punt return from Turpin, and ran in for a 10-yard touchdown run, putting the Frogs up 42-12.

The Frogs would run out the clock from there, and move to 2-0.

Ohio State is next week. Let’s get ready.