Week 9 Recap
Week 9 brought drama to the Big 12 race as every game in the conference was won by the underdog, including Oklahoma falling out of the current Playoff picture with a loss to Kansas State as 24.5-point favorite. The week delivered 18 total upsets and our entrants took advantage – cashing in on some big underdogs including Illinois winning a 2nd consecutive game, Oklahoma State winning in Ames as 10.5-point underdogs, Kentucky smashed Mizzou as 10-point dogs, and Colorado State winning in Fresno as 2-TD underdogs. We now have our first multiple-week winner and it comes in back-to-back weeks, as Dubai Doug’s hot streak continues. Perhaps at this point our participants are all finding their groove, as it required a massive 20 points to crack this week’s top 10.
While much of the rest of you were celebrating a very successful week, I went tumbling down the overall standings, only securing 6 points from the Week 9 slate. Victory Cigars for Everyone has taken over the top spot and will now be hoping to hold on and run out the clock on the season. The biggest mover this week was I’m a little late, who used a top 10 Week 9 performance to jump 14 spots to 31st overall for the season You can still make your own leap up the leaderboard and earn weekly prizes, so join now.
Week 10 Picks
1. Fresno State (+2) vs. Hawai’I – I have some ground to make up if I’m going to get back into the top spot, but Rome wasn’t built in a day and I need to generate some points so I’ll start it off with the week’s last game. Fresno took a terrible home loss last week and now has the long travel to the island to deal with Cole McDonald. I won’t be awake to see it happen, think the Bulldogs can get it done
2. Virginia (+2.5) vs. North Carolina – Another small spread, but another better team on the road getting points. I have continued to pick against UNC, to both success and failure, but I have to go against the Heels again here.
3. Miami (+3.5) vs. Florida State – Another middling ACC coin flip matchup, where the likely better team is on the road as a small underdog. Cam Akers can always break a game open for FSU, but still think the Hurricanes defense can stand strong enough to take this game.
4. NC State (+7.5) vs. Wake Forest – I am currently in Winston-Salem and I must say the excitement around the city for the ranked Demon Deacons, leading up to this local rivalry showdown on Family Weekend, is….minimal. To be fair, it is still early in the week, but it doesn’t seem to be the talk of the town. There aren’t Sage Surratt posters all over downtown or Jamie Newman’s face on the buses. Frog fans in Fort Worth may not appreciate how connected TCU is to the city; how much the energy of TCU feeds the energy of Fort Worth and vice versa, but know that that isn’t necessarily the experience elsewhere. On the field, Wake should be much better than the Wolf Pack, but maybe NC State can get back on the right side of this rivalry after losing the last two seasons.
5. Boston College (+3) vs. Syracuse – Hi, my name is Anthony and I am addicted to picking ACC underdogs. I just cannot help myself. Maybe BC’s early season loss to Kansas wasn’t as awful as we all made it out to be, while Syracuse has certainly not lived up to the pre-season billing. BC’s AJ Dillon will be by far the best player on either side and expect him to run wild against the Orange.
Week 10 is considered to be a weak slate, with so many teams are off on a bye, including 9 of the AP Top 25, and the only top 25 matchup is from the AAC. However, there are some very appealing underdogs this week and it is likely that a significant percentage of this week’s games result in upsets – can you spot which ones it will be? Will the short slate lend itself to some more chaos or will the favorites take care of business? Fill out your selections in the form below or click HERE if your browser doesn’t show the form on this page. Remember to get your picks in before the start of games you select – Week 10 Schedule. Good luck!