TCU Basketball defeated Winthrop earlier this week, bouncing back from a heartbreaker at the hands of USC last Friday night. With finals looming, they will have a shot to hit the week long break coming off of a win when they face Lamar Saturday afternoon at Schollmaier Arena.
Broadcast: FOX Sports Southwest
Play-By-Play: Brian Estridge
Analyst: Colin Boddicker
Radio: KTCU 88.7 FM // SIRIUS XM 975
Play-By-Play: Jeff Williams
Analyst: John Denton
Online: HFTV // TuneIn
Series: TCU leads 9-2
In Fort Worth: TCU leads 7-0
In Beaumont: TCU leads 2-1
Neutral: Lamar leads 1-0
First Meeting: TCU won 115-94 (1/2/71) in Fort Worth
Last Meeting: TCU won 77-72 (11/30/11) in Fort Worth
Winning Streak: TCU W3
Dixon vs. Lamar: First Meeting
- TCU (7-2) continues non-conference play with a Saturday game against Lamar (6-4). Tip is scheduled for 2 p.m. and will be shown on FSSW.
- The Frogs’ two losses this season have come by a combined four points, 62-60 to Clemson in overtime and 80-78 to USC.
- TCU leads the Big 12 with 9.0 3-pointers made per game. TCU ranks 19th nationally in steals (9.7), 21st in assists (16.8), 26th in turnover margin (4.7) and 28th in turnovers forced (17.8).
- Since the 2014-15 season, the Frogs have gone 62-10 in November and December combined. Under Jamie Dixon (since 2016-17), TCU has gone 41-6 in November and December combined. Also, under Dixon, TCU has gone 53-11 in nonconference games.
- TCU has two returning starters from last season, senior Desmond Bane and sophomore Kevin Samuel. One of the best shooters in the Big 12, Bane ranks fifth in the conference with a scoring average of 17.2 points per game. Samuel ranks third in the nation by shooting 71.0 percent from the field and is fifth in the Big 12 with 8.1 rebounds per game. Samuel’s five double-doubles this season leads the Big 12 and ranks 12th in the nation.
- Bane has earned multiple preseason honors. He was named to the Preseason All-Big 12 Team, was one of 20 players nationally named to the watch list for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year award, the Oscar Robertson Trophy and was named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 which is given to the best player in the nation.
- At 1,408 career points, Bane is 11th on TCU’s all-time scoring list. He is 18 points shy of Gary Turner (1,426, 1964-66) for 10th.
LAST TIME OUT
A balanced scoring effort and solid defense propelled the TCU men’s basketball team to a 70-60 win over Winthrop Wednesday night at Schollmaier Arena. Sophomore guard RJ Nembhard led the charge for the Frogs recording 15 points and six rebounds. Senior guard Desmond Bane put together the most complete performance of the evening for TCU, scoring 11 points, grabbing seven rebounds and tying a career high in assists with six.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
Lamar is 6-4 this season following a 73-56 win over Southern on Wednesday. The Cardinals are 5-0 at home and 1-4 on the road. Lamar is led by senior guard T.J. Atwood who is averaging 16.7 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. Last season, Lamar went 20-13 overall, 12-6 in the Southland Conference.
TCU leads the all-time series 9-2 with a 7-0 advantage in Fort Worth. The Horned Frogs have won the past three meetings with the Cardinals.
TCU will host No. 23 ranked Xavier (9-1) on Sunday at 4 p.m. The game is part of the inaugural Big East/Big 12 Battle and will be televised on ESPN2.