Jaire Grayer came to TCU Basketball as a graduate transfer, bringing experience and a sweet stroke from deep with him. Monday night, he will get to see some familiar faces when his former program, George Mason, comes to Fort Worth to take on the Horned Frogs in their final tune-up before Big 12 play opens Saturday with a home date with Iowa State.
Broadcast: FOX Sports Southwest
Play-By-Play: Brian Estridge
Analyst: Colin Boddicker
Radio: KTCU 88.7 FM // SIRIUS XM 375
Play-By-Play: Jeff Williams
Analyst: John Denton
Online: HFTV // TuneIn
Series: First Meeting
Dixon vs. Mason: First Meeting
- TCU (8-3) finishes the year 2019 with an 8 p.m. game on Monday against George Mason (11-1). The game will be shown on FOX Sports Southwest.
- Jaire Grayer spent the previous four seasons with George Mason before transferring to TCU over the summer. He totaled 1,154 points in 105 career games with the Patriots.
- TCU leads the Big 12 with 9.4 3-pointers made per game. TCU ranks 16th nationally in turnovers forced (16.8), 18th in steals (9.6), 18th in turnover margin (5.0) and 22nd in assists (17.0).
- Since the 2014-15 season, the Frogs have gone 63-11 in November and December combined. Under Jamie Dixon (since 2016-17), TCU has gone 42-7 in November and December combined. Also, under Dixon, TCU has gone 54-12 in nonconference games.
- TCU has two returning starters from last season, senior Desmond Bane and sophomore Kevin Samuel. One of the best shooters in the Big 12, Bane ranks seventh in the conference with a scoring average of 15.9 points per game. Samuel ranks fifth in the nation by shooting 68.6 percent from the field and is sixth in the Big 12 with 8.6 rebounds per game. Samuel’s seven double-doubles this season leads the Big 12 and ranks 7th in the nation.
- Bane has earned multiple preseason honors. He was named to the Preseason All-Big 12 Team, was one of 20 players nationally named to the watch list for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year award, the Oscar Robertson Trophy and was named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 which is given to the best player in the nation.
- At 1,428 career points, Bane is 10th on TCU’s all-time scoring list. He is 75 points shy of Lee Nailon (1,503, 1964-66) for 9th.
- At 103 career blocked shots, Samuel is sixth on TCU’s all-time list. Reggie Smith is next on the chart with 133.
LAST TIME OUT:
Xavier never trailed in a 67-59 win over TCU on Dec. 22 in the Big East/Big 12 Battle. The Musketeers shot 52.9 percent from the field and held the Horned Frogs to 32.8 percent as TCU lost its first game at Schollmaier Arena this season. The Frogs were led by Kevin Samuel’s seventh double-double of the season as he finished with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Desmond Bane joined Samuel in double-figures with 14 points to go with 10 rebounds.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT:
George Mason is 11-1 this season and have won its last six games. The Patriots only loss was at No. 6 Maryland on Nov. 22. George Mason returns 10 players, including three starters, from last season’s team that finished 18-15 and finished fifth in the Atlantic 10. Sophomore guard Jordan Miller leads the team in scoring with 13.5 points per game. George Mason ranks 12th nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense (26.6).
It’s the first meeting between TCU and George Mason. TCU is 6-10 against teams from the Atlantic 10 Conference.
TCU will open Big 12 Conference play against Iowa State on Saturday at 5 p.m. It will be televised on either ESPN2 or ESPNU.