Week Two Recap
Another week with only one correct selection for me – the crazy comeback and finish by Colorado over former Big 12 rival Nebraska. Thanks to Les Miles taking his first loss as Kansas Head Coach, at home to Coastal Carolina, this week’s big winner, PaPa, came out ahead by just half a point over Week One’s champion, Captain Cold. There were plenty of upsets on the board: Cal took down Washington in Pac 12 Before Sunrise: BYU went into Neyland Stadium and pulled a miracle win that may get the Vols another step closer to their glory years…in that Phil Fulmer may be on the sideline soon; and UCLA dropped a 2nd non-Power 5 game to start the season, this time to San Diego State. Our entrants took advantage, as only one entry got shut out this week.
After two weeks, a clear favorite has emerged. But you are just one strong week from being right in it for the Grand Prize. There is also a prize awarded every week, so join now if you aren’t already in the game.
Week Three Picks
Well it looked like I would was going to have a strong opinion about one underdog in particular, as opening lines were released with TCU as a 3.5-point underdog in West Lafayette. The money must have poured in on the Frogs, as TCU is now a favorite across the betting marketplace. So with that one off the table, I’ll try to come up with some surefire high-value winners to ease my way onto the leaderboard…
1. Kansas State (+7.5) vs. Mississippi State – Through the opening weeks the SEC story has become quite clear: the top is super stellar and the bottom is flaming garbage, while the jury is still out on a few teams as to which category they will fall. It seems likely that the Bulldogs would lean closer towards the top of the conference, but they have not yet separated with their two low G5 wins. A similar story could be said about the Big 12 and the Wildcats as they have rolled up impressive numbers against weak competition. Chris Klieman looks to build a new legacy in Manhattan and could put a signature win on the board Saturday.
2. Houston (+9.5) vs. Washington State – There was a lot of excitement headed into the season for Houston with Dana Holgorsen taking over the program, but after getting predictably smashed by OU to open the season it seems the hate has gone too far. With an FCS win and a barely-FBS win over New Mexico State, Wazzu has looked the great, but against that competition level, it’s impossible to know if it is the real deal. Washington State has been prone to bad non-conference upsets in the past, so why not here? It’s Friday the 13th with Leach and Holgo, weird stuff is just certain to happen in this one.
3. Air Force (+4) vs. Colorado – I hate to do this - Laviska Shenault is one of my favorite players in the country and last week’s thriller over Nebraska was fantastic and Mel Tucker may really have something cooking in Boulder, but there is something off about this line. The Buffs are 2-0 and look primed for a push for a Pac 12 Championship, while Air Force only holds an FCS win. Yet the oddsmakers have set this as a near coin flip at Folsom Field. It’s too odd to ignore.
4. Temple (+8) vs. Maryland – So the Terps knocked off Syracuse at home last week in impressive fashion and next week they will host Penn State in a potential GameDay destination…but in between is this sneaky-tough game in Philly. Temple has been sitting at home through the Bye week, after dispensing with their FCS foe in Week 1, watching Maryland show all their cards; perhaps the Owls can catch the Terps sleeping.
5. Florida State (+7.5) vs. Virginia – FSU has been an embarrassment through two weeks while UVA has been every bit the ACC Coastal favorite that they were billed to be. I’m not ready to bury Willie Taggart and these Noles yet, mostly because Cam Akers can turn any game on its head in an instant. This is a huge game for the trajectory of both programs and will be a question of history and recruiting rankings versus teamwork and coaching.
Fill out your selections in the form below or click HERE if your browser doesn’t show the form on this page. Remember to get your picks in before the start of games you select – Week 3 Schedule. Good luck!