After starting 3-0 in Big 12 play, the Horned Frogs are facing down a potential 0-3 skid, with #18 Texas Tech coming to town Tuesday night.
TCU Basketball started conference play with plenty of good vibes, holding off Iowa State in overtime, winning at Kansas State, and keeping the Cowboys at bay in Fort Worth. But it’s been nothing but blowouts since, as the Frogs took the biggest L of the Jamie Dixon era in Morgantown and followed up that performance with a 20+ point loss in Norman Saturday.
Their medicine? A ranked Texas Tech team that they haven’t managed to beat since 2017.
Losing to West Virginia and Oklahoma on the road isn’t shameful in itself, but how the Frogs lost is concerning. A competitive performance against a good team would go a long way to restoring hope amongst the fan base, and maybe even build a little home-court magic for the women, who face down Baylor Wednesday night at Schollmaier Arena.
JAN. 21 | SCHOLLMAIER ARENA (6,800) | FORT WORTH, TEXAS | 7 PM
Broadcast: Big 12 Now/ESPN+
Play-By-Play: Mark Neely
Analyst: Lance Blanks
Online: WatchESPN.com // ESPN App
Radio: KTCU 88.7 FM // KLIF 570 AM XM 391 - (981 online)
Play-By-Play: Brian Estridge
Analyst: John Denton Online: HFTV // TuneIn
Series: Texas Tech leads 83-51
In Fort Worth: Tech leads 33-31
In Lubbock: Tech leads 47-15
Neutral: TCU leads 4-3
First Meeting: TCU won 30-19 (1/23/32) in Fort Worth
Last Meeting: Tech won 81-66 (3/2/19) in Fort Worth
Winning Streak: Tech, 4 Dixon vs. Tech: 3-5
- TCU (12-5, 3-2 Big 12) will host No. 18 Texas Tech (12-5, 3-2 Big 12) Tuesday at 7 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.
- TCU will wear its purple TCU uniforms Tuesday. Fans are encouraged to wear purple as well. It will also be the first of two games for Suits and Sneakers week to support Coaches vs. Cancer. The TCU coaches will wear the Nike Air Max Deluxe.
- TCU has won 13 of its last 18 Big 12 home games and went 5-4 last season. TCU is 17-12 in Big 12 home games overall under Jamie Dixon.
- TCU leads the Big 12 in 3-pointers made per game (9.5) and blocks per game (4.9) and ranks second in assists (16.2) and assists/turnover ratio (1.20).
- TCU ranks in the top 30 nationally in assists (24th, 16.2) and 3-point field goals made (29th, 9.5).
- TCU has two returning starters from last season, senior Desmond Bane and sophomore Kevin Samuel. Bane, who earned multiple preseason honors, ranks high in the conference in several categories including second in scoring average at 16.6 points per game.
- Samuel ranks second in the Big 12 in shooting at 65.9 percent from the field and is fifth in the Big 12 with 8.4 rebounds per game. Samuel’s eight double-doubles this season leads the Big 12.
- Bane (3rd, 15.4) and RJ Nembhard (9th, 14.2) rank in the top 10 in scoring in the conference in Big 12 games only. Nembhard scored 31 points against Iowa State on Jan. 4, tied for the most by a Big 12 player this season.
- At 1,535 career points, Bane is seventh on TCU’s all-time scoring list. Next on the list is Kyan Anderson at 1,624 points.
- At 122 career blocked shots, Samuel is sixth on TCU’s all-time list. Reggie Smith is next on the chart with 133.
LAST TIME OUT
Oklahoma’s Brady Manek scored a career-high 31 points to lead the Sooners to an 83-63 win over TCU Saturday at Lloyd Noble Center. Manek made shots early and often to prevent the Horned Frogs from taking a lead outside of the game’s opening points. The Frogs, which had a season-low eight turnovers, shot just 8-of-36 (22.2 percent) from 3-point range.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
Texas Tech is 12-5 overall and 3-2 in the Big 12 following consecutive wins against Kansas State and Iowa State. The Red Raiders are led by freshman Jahmi’us Ramsey’s 15.5 points per game. Texas Tech leads the conference in turnovers forced (17.4) and assists (16.5). The Raiders lost 11 players and four starters off last season’s team which went 31-7, won the Big 12 and finished as national runner-up.
It’s the 135th meeting between TCU and Texas Tech, a series that the Red Raiders lead 83-51 with a 33-31 advantage in Fort Worth. TCU is 0-6 all-time against a ranked Texas Tech team.
TCU will play at Arkansas (14-3) Saturday at 3 p.m. in the Big 12/SEC Challenge on EPSN2. It will be the first meeting between the two schools since the last year they were members of the Southwest Conference in 1991.