GAME 8: at Kansas
DATE: Saturday, Nov. 28, 2020
TIME: 7 p.m. CST
LOCATION: Lawrence, Kan. (David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium)
SERIES RECORD: TCU leads, 23-9-4
LAST MEETING: TCU won, 51-14 (2019)
TV: FS1 (Eric Collins, Ben Leber)
SPANISH RADIO: KFZO 99.1 FM (Miguel Cruz, Elvis Gallegos)
ABOUT THE GAME
- TCU leaves Texas for just the second time this season when it travels to Kansas for a Saturday 7 p.m. game.
- With six home games and road contests at Texas and Baylor, eight of the Horned Frogs’ 10 scheduled contests in 2020 are in state. TCU will be making the second of only two flights this season.
- Saturday will mark Gary Patterson’s 250th game as TCU’s head coach. He has a 175-74 record (.703).
- The Kansas contest is TCU’s first night game of the season.
- The Horned Frogs have won 14 of their last 20 regular-season games after an open date.
- TCU is 45-19 in regular-season games following a loss under Patterson.
- Patterson is 7-1 as a head coach versus Kansas and 1-1 against KU head coach Les Miles. The 2013 season opener saw Miles’ No. 12 LSU team defeat No. 20 TCU, 37-27, in the Cowboys Classic at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
- TCU’s 34-18 victory over Texas Tech on Nov. 7 gave Patterson 200 overall wins as a Horned Frog. He has 175 victories as a head coach while being part of 25 wins as defensive coordinator (1998-00). TCU is 200-84 (.704) with Patterson on its sideline.
- TCU is 2-1 on the road this season.
- Since 2009, TCU is tied for third nationally with 43 road wins. The Horned Frogs are 43-20 (.683) in that stretch.
- TCU’s 51-26 record (.662) in road and neutral-site games since 2009 is seventh-best nationally.
- TCU’s 33-19 mark (.635) in conference road games since 2009 is 13th-best in the FBS.
- The Horned Frogs are 21-19 on the road in their Big 12 history.
- Since beginning Big 12 play in 2012, TCU is 7-1 versus Kansas.
- TCU holds a 23-9-4 edge over Kansas in a series dating back to a 41-6 Horned Frogs’ win in Fort Worth in 1942.
- TCU is 10-7 versus the Jayhawks in Lawrence, 11-2-2 in Fort Worth and 2-0-2 in the four games (1944-47) played in Kansas City.
- A 20-6 TCU victory at Kansas in 2012 marked the Horned Frogs’ inaugural Big 12 game.
- Prior to TCU beginning Big 12 play in 2012, the schools had not met on the gridiron since a 17-10 KU victory in Lawrence in 1997, the year before Gary Patterson arrived at TCU as defensive coordinator.
PRIDE OF THE SUNFLOWER STATE
- TCU head coach Gary Patterson was born in Larned, Kan., and is a native of Rozel, Kan.
- Patterson went to Pawnee Heights High School and then Dodge City Community College, before heading to Kansas State. He was a strong safety and outside linebacker for the Wildcats.
- Over the last six seasons, TCU has the Big 12’s third-best conference record (36-25) and overall mark (55-30).
- TCU is one of just seven programs nationally to finish in the top 10 of the final polls at least three times (2014, 2015, 2017) in the last six seasons. The others are Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Penn State.
- TCU had five 11-win seasons last decade, equaling the combined number of the 11 other FBS programs in Texas.
- Patterson, at 20 seasons, is the nation’s second-longest tenured head coach, trailing only Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz (22nd year).
- Patterson recently released two music singles in which he wrote and provided lead vocals on, “Take A Step Back” and “Game On.”
- The Horned Frogs have just nine scholarship seniors on this year’s team.
- TCU is 3-0 this season and 98-8 under Patterson when rushing for at least 200 yards.
- TCU has 12 sacks in the last three games after totaling five in the opening four contests.
- Defensive end Khari Coleman tops all freshmen nationally with 9.5 tackles for loss, a total that ranks second overall in the Big 12 and 26th nationally.
- Derius Davis is second nationally in punt return average at 21.8 yards, a mark on pace to break the TCU season record of 20.8 set last year by Philadelphia Eagles’ first-round pick Jalen Reagor.