TCU looks to improve to 7-2 on Tuesday night as they host the North Dakota State Bison in a non-conference matchup.
While their 2-5 record might not seem threatening, the Bison gave Kansas everything they could handle just weeks ago, falling to the Jayhawks 65-61 in Lawrence, Kansas. Since then they are 2-1, and sitting second in the Summit League.
Kenpom: TCU #59, NDSU #173
RPI: TCU #77, NDSU #218
- TCU (6-2) returns home to face North Dakota State (2-5) on Tuesday at 8 p.m. on ESPNU.
- In his fifth season as TCU’s head coach, Jamie Dixon is 10 wins away from 100.
- Junior guard RJ Nembhard, who was named Big 12 Player of the Week on Dec. 14, has been one of the best players in the conference.
- Nembhard ranks second in the Big 12 with 17.9 points, fourth with 4.9 assists and eighth in shooting at 47.4 percent from the field.
- Nembhard joins freshman guard Mike Miles to form one of the top backcourts in the Big 12. Miles has two 20-point games this season and ranks second on the team with 13.5 points per game, which is the second-most in the Big 12 among freshmen.
- Junior center Kevin Samuel is TCU’s career leader with 186 blocked shots. He leads the Big 12 and ranks 12th nationally with 3.0 blocks per game, following the seven blocks he had at OSU Wednesday, which were the most by a TCU player in 20 seasons.
- Samuel ranks second in the Big 12 and 22nd nationally with 10.2 rebounds per game. He ranks second in the Big 12 with 3.4 offensive rebounds per game.
- TCU ranks first in the Big 12 and 24th nationally in 3-point field goal defense (25.9). TCU leads the Big 12 with 4.6 blocks per game.
- In Dixon’s five seasons at TCU, his teams have gone 46-9 in November and December combined.
- TCU’s 11 underclassmen is the fourth most in the country and ties with Kansas State for the most in the Big 12 Conference. Freshmen and sophomores are accounting for 53 percent of TCU’s points.
LAST TIME OUT
RJ Nembhard scored a game-high 21 points and delivered the game-winning score with 7.6 seconds left as TCU topped Oklahoma State, 77-76 on Wednesday. Kevin Samuel scored a season-high 18 points, eight rebounds and a career-high seven blocks. TCU shot 54.5 percent from the field and withstood 20 turnovers in a back-and-forth game as the Frogs earned their first road win in their first opportunity.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
North Dakota State has won two-straight games, including a 53-52 victory over North Dakota on Dec. 12. The Bison have played road games at No. 11 Creighton, No. 7 Kansas and Nebraska. They lost a close game, 65-61 at KU. A fairly balanced scoring effort is led by Rocky Kreuser (11.7), Tyree Eady (11.6) and Sam Griesel (11.3). Griesel leads the Bison with 7.0 rebounds per game. The Bison were picked third in the Summit League Preseason Poll after going 25-8 last season and tied for first in the conference with a 13-3 record.
It’s the first meeting between the two programs. TCU is 5-4 against teams from the Summit League.