DEC. 9 | SCHOLLMAIER ARENA | FORT WORTH, TEXAS | 4 PM
Play-By-Play: Ted Emrich
Analyst: Robbie Hummel
Online: WatchESPN.com // ESPN App
Radio: KLIF 570 AM | XM/Online: 385/975
Play-By-Play: Brian Estridge
Analyst: John Denton
Online: HFTV // TuneIn
Series: TCU leads 1-0
In Fort Worth: -
In Providence: TCU leads 1-0
First Meeting: TCU won 79-77 (11/10/98) in Providence
Last Meeting: TCU won 79-77 (11/10/98) in Providence
Winning Streak: TCU W1
Dixon vs. Providence: 10-1
- TCU will host Providence Wednesday at 4 p.m. in the Big 12/Big East Battle. The game will air on ESPNU.
- TCU is 0-1 in this Big East scheduling alliance after last season’s 67-59 loss to Xavier.
- Schollmaier Arena’s normal capacity of 6,800 has been reduced to 1,600 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Horned Frogs started 4-0 in four of the last five seasons under Jamie Dixon
- Junior guard RJ Nembhard leads the Frogs at 15.8 points, which ranks ninth in the Big 12, and 3.5 assists per game.
- Junior center Kevin Samuel is TCU’s career leader with 174 blocked shots. He leads the Big 12 with 2.4 blocks per game.
- Samuel’s 11.8 rebounds per game leads the Big 12 and ranks fifth in the nation. His 3.8 offensive rebounds is second in the Big 12.
- Jamie Dixon is three games away from No. 600 for his career and 12 wins away from his 100th win at TCU. In his five seasons at TCU, his teams have gone 44-8 in November and December combined.
- The Frogs are 40-3 against nonconference opponents at Schollmaier Arena under Dixon.
- Dixon is 10-1 all-time against Providence, all during his time as head coach at Pittsburgh. Dixon has a winning percentage of .658 (regular season and tournament) in the Big East is still the best in league history.
- TCU’s 11 underclassmen is the fourth most in the country and ties with Kansas State for the most in the Big 12 Conference. Freshmen and sophomores are accounting for 58 percent of TCU’s points.
LAST TIME OUT
Freshman Mike Miles scored a career-high 21 points The Frogs led by as many as nine points, but Austin Reaves hit 16-of-18 free throws on the way to 32 points to give Oklahoma an 82-78 win. Kevin Samuel recorded 11 rebounds for his fourth double-digit rebounding game of the season. Samuel recorded three blocks to become TCU’s all-time blocks leader with 174.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
Providence returns nine players, including three starters, from last season’s team that went 19-12 overall and 12-6 in the Big East Conference. The Friars won six of their last eight games of the 2020 season and finished with a NET ranking of 37. Senior Nate Watson leads the team with 18.8 points per game. Junior David Duke is right behind Watson with 18.0 points per game.
TCU leads the all-time series 1-0 with the only meeting coming on Nov. 10, 1998, a 79-77 win for the No. 25-ranked Horned Frogs in the CoSIDA Classic. Lee Nailon led all players with 30 points and added 10 points.
TCU will play a neutral site game against Texas A&M on Saturday at 1 p.m. on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.