When they absolutely had to win a ball game, the TCU offense showed up; hitting a barrage of threes against Kansas State to hold the Cats at bay. But now the Frogs have to win on the road — something they haven’t done since January 7th — and avenge what is probably their worst loss of the season when they face Texas Wednesday.
The Longhorns are on a four game skid; after beating TCU on January 29th, they beat Iowa State, and haven’t won since. Who will have the juice in Austin?
We will find out.
FEB. 19 | FRANK ERWIN CENTER (16,734) | AUSTIN, TEXAS | 7 PM
Broadcast: Longhorn Network
Play-By-Play: Lowell Galindo
Analyst: Lance Blanks
Online: WatchESPN.com // ESPN App
Radio: KLIF 570 AM XM 387 - (977 online)
Play-By-Play: Brian Estridge
Analyst: John Denton
Online: HFTV // TuneIn
Series: Texas leads 112-69
In Fort Worth: TCU leads 46-40
In Austin: UT leads 66-21
Neutral: UT leads 6-2
First Meeting: UT won 53-27 (1914-15) in Austin
Last Meeting: UT won 62-61 (1/29/20) in Fort Worth
Winning Streak: UT, 2
Dixon vs. UT: 6-4 (5-3 at TCU)
- TCU (14-11, 5-7) will play at Texas (14-11, 4-8) Wednesday at 7 p.m. on Longhorn Network.
- TCU, which was picked 10th in the Big 12 preseason poll, is currently in sixth place in the standings.
- Jamie Dixon has 410 career wins, the sixth most of any head coach in 17 seasons.
- TCU leads the Big 12 in 3-pointers made per game (8.6) and ranks second in blocks (5.0) and assists per game (14.9). The Frogs rank 23rd nationally in blocks per game.TCU’s three returning players from last season are senior Desmond Bane and sophomores RJ Nembhard and Kevin Samuel.
- Bane, who earned multiple preseason honors, including one of 10 finalists for the Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award, leads the Frogs in points (16.0) and assists (3.6). Bane ranks second in the Big 12 in scoring, 3-point field goal percentage (42.9) and first in 3-point field goals made (2.8). He’s made a 3-pointer in 15 straight games.
- Samuel is shooting 65.3 percent from the field and is averaging 8.76 rebounds per game, which ranks fifth in the Big 12, and 2.8 blocks per game, which leads the Big 12 and ranks 11th in the nation. Samuel’s 10 double-doubles ranks second in the Big 12. He’s had at least five blocks in a game seven times this season.Bane is top five all-time at TCU in career points (5th), field goals (5th) and 3-pointers (4th). At 1,654 career points, Bane is chasing Dick O’Neal for fourth at 1,723 points.
- At 146 career blocked shots, Samuel is fifth on TCU’s all-time list. Kurt Thomas is next at 166 blocks.
- Edric Dennis is nine points away from 1,000 DI career points. Dennis was at Jackson State as a sophomore and UTA as a junior.
LAST TIME OUT
Desmond Bane knocked down five 3-pointers and scored a team-high 17 points as the TCU men’s basketball team defeated Kansas State, 68-57, Saturday at Schollmaier Arena. The senior guard also finished with eight rebounds and a career-high eight assists. Bane commanded the TCU offense which combined for 15 3-pointers, tying its most-ever in Big 12 Conference play. As a team, the Frogs were a combined 15-of-33 from deep (45.5 percent). Bane was 5-of-10 from three. It was TCU’s first-ever season sweep of Kansas State.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
Texas is 14-11 overall and 4-8 in the Big 12 Conference following an 81-52 loss at Iowa State on Saturday, its fourth consecutive loss. UT is 9-5 at home this season. The Longhorns are led in scoring by Matt Coleman III with 12.5 points per game. Texas’ leading rebounder, Jericho Sims (8.2) was ruled out indefinitely last week with an injury.
It’s the 182nd meeting between Texas and TCU. UT leads the series 112-69 and won 62-61 on Jan. 29 in Fort Worth. Under Jamie Dixon, TCU has won five of the eight meetings against Texas. Also, under Dixon, each of the three meetings in Austin have been decided by four or fewer points. TCU’s 69-65 win in Austin was its first win there since a 70-54 win on Feb. 18, 1987, Dixon’s senior season as a player at TCU.
TCU hosts No. 17 West Virginia (18-7, 6-6) Saturday at 1 p.m. on ESPNU.