TCU Basketball has lost four games in a row after a 4-0 start in conference play, and their prospects aren’t looking up with Kansas coming to town. You can explain away an L on the road to Baylor, but dropping a home contest to Texas and a road tilt against a previously winless in conference Oklahoma State squad (missing several key contributors) is a really bad look.
Of course, a win Saturday would erase a ton of ill will.
Let’s see if they can pull it off.
FEB. 8 | SCHOLLMAIER ARENA (6,800) | FORT WORTH, TEXAS | 11 AM
TCU Horned Frogs (13-9, 4-5 Big 12)
HC: Jamie Dixon (TCU ‘87)
At TCU: 81-50 (4th)
Career: 409-173 (17th)
KANSAS Jayhawks (19-3, 8-1 Big 12)
HC: Bill Self (Oklahoma State ‘85)
At School: 492-109 (17th)
Career: 699-214 (27th)
Play-By-Play: Rich Hollenberg
Analyst: Chris Spatola
Online: WatchESPN.com // ESPN App
Radio: KLIF 570 AM // KTCU 88.7 FM XM 383 - (973 online)
Play-By-Play: Brian Estridge
Analyst: John Denton
Online: HFTV // TuneIn
Series: Kansas leads 18-2
In Fort Worth: KU leads 7-1
In Lawrence: KU leads 8-0
Neutral: KU leads 3-1
First Meeting: KU won 68-64 (3/21/52) in Kansas City
Last Meeting: KU won 82-77 (2/11/19) in Fort Worth
Winning Streak: KU, 4
Dixon vs. KU: 1-6
- TCU (13-9, 4-5) will host No. 3 Kansas (19-3, 8-1) Saturday at 11 a.m. on ESPN2. It’s a white out at Schollmaier Arena. All fans are encouraged to wear white.
- TCU has won 14 of its last 20 Big 12 home games and is 3-1 this season after going 5-4 last season. TCU is 18-13 in Big 12 home games overall under Jamie Dixon.
- TCU leads the Big 12 in 3-pointers made per game (8.7) and ranks second in blocks (4.8) and assists per game (15.7).
- TCU ranks in the top 40 nationally in assists (33rd, 15.4) and blocked shots (33rd, 4.7).
- TCU has three returning players from last season, including two starters, senior Desmond Bane and sophomore Kevin Samuel. Bane, who earned multiple preseason honors, including All-Big 12, ranks high in the conference in several categories including second in scoring average 16.2, eighth in assists (3.5) and 10th in rebounds (6.3). He’s the only player in the Big 12 to rank in the top 10 in all three categories.
- Bane leads the Big 12 Conference in 3-point field goals made (2.8) and ranks second in 3-point field goal percentage (44.2).
- Samuel is shooting 66.5 percent from the field, which ranks second in the Big 12 and fifth in the NCAA. His 8.7 rebounds per game ranks sixth in the Big 12. Samuel’s 10 double-doubles leads the Big 12 and ranks 25th nationally. He’s averaging 13.4 points, 9.8 rebounds and 3.0 blocks in the last five games and is shooting 68.3 percent.
- At 1,610 career points, Bane is seventh on TCU’s all-time scoring list. Next on the list is Kyan Anderson at 1,624 points.
- At 137 career blocked shots, Samuel is fifth on TCU’s all-time list. Kurt Thomas is next at 166 blocks.
- Edric Dennis is 10 points away from 1,000 DI career points.
LAST TIME OUT
Turnovers and an off night from 3-point range hurt the TCU men’s basketball team in a 72-57 loss at Oklahoma State Wednesday at Gallagher-Iba Arena. RJ Nembhard led the Frogs with a game-high 16 points. Desmond Bane added 14 points, tied the team-high with eight rebounds and tied his career-high with six assists. TCU shot a season-low 4-of-19 (21.1 percent) from three. The Cowboys had just eight turnovers and forced 17 takeaways.
ABOUT THE OPPONENT
No. 3 Kansas is 19-3 overall and 8-1 in the Big 12 and is on a seven-game win streak following a 69-58 win over Texas on Monday. The Jayhawks are led by sophomore guard Devon Dotson’s 18.0 points per game. Senior Udoka Azubuike is nearly averaging a double-double with 12.6 points and 9.5 rebounds per game, while shooting an NCAA-best 76.3 percent from the field.
Kansas leads the all-time series 18-2 and has won the last four. TCU’s two wins in the series have come against highly ranked KU teams. The Frogs defeated No. 5 Kansas at home on Feb. 6, 2013, for the program’s first Big 12 win. In Jamie Dixon’s first season, TCU beat No. 1 Kansas, 85-82, on March 9, 2017 at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship in Kansas City, Mo.
TCU will play its third game in six days when it plays at Texas Tech Monday at 8 p.m. on ESPN2.