GAME 4: vs. Texas
DATE: Saturday, Oct. 2, 2021
TIME: 11 a.m.
LOCATION: Fort Worth, Texas (Amon G. Carter Stadium)
SERIES RECORD: Texas leads, 63-27-1
LAST MEETING: TCU 33, Texas 31 (2020)
TV: ABC (Dave Pasch, Dusty Dvoracek, Tom Lunginbill)
SPANISH RADIO: Zona MX 99.1 FM (Miguel Cruz, Elvis Gallegos)
ABOUT THE GAME
- TCU hosts Texas on Saturday at 11 a.m. on ABC.
- The Horned Frogs saw their five-game winning streak snapped last week. It had been tied for the seventh-longest active streak in the nation. TCU has won seven of its past nine contests.
- TCU has opened with a record of 2-1 or better for the 18th time in Head Coach Gary Patterson’s 21 seasons.
- Since 1996, Patterson ranks No. 1 nationally among all head coaches past and present in winning percentage (.700, 7-3) against Texas with a minimum of six games played.
- Patterson’s seven wins over Texas are tied for second among all head coaches since 1996, trailing only Bob Stoops (11).
- Since beginning Big 12 play in 2012, TCU is 7-2 against Texas with wins in the last two meetings and six of the past seven.
- TCU is 46-19 in regular-season games following a loss under Patterson.
- TCU running back Zach Evans’ 7.8 career yards per carry average ranks No. 1 nationally among active players (min. 95 attempts). He has topped 100 yards rushing in four of the last five games.
HOME SWEET HOME
- TCU is opening a season with four straight home games for just the second time (1979) in its history.
- The Horned Frogs are 94-28 under Head Coach Gary Patterson at Amon G. Carter Stadium.
- Saturday is the 92nd meeting between TCU and Texas. The Longhorns hold a 63-27-1 advantage in a series that began with an 18-10 Texas win in 1897.
- TCU is 12-28 against Texas in Fort Worth and 15-35-1 in Austin.
- Texas is TCU’s fourth-most played series. The Horned Frogs’ 91 games with the Longhorns trail only Baylor (116), SMU (100) and Texas A&M (92).
- TCU offensive lineman Coy McMillon’s brother, Jake, was a three-year letterman (2015-17) at Texas.
- Former Texas wide receiver Jerrod Heard’s younger sister, Lauren, is a senior guard and two-time First-Team All-Big 12 selection for the TCU women’s basketball team.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
- One of the more memorable wins in TCU history was a 6-0 victory at No. 1 Texas on Nov. 8, 1961.
- The lone score in the game was a second-quarter touchdown pass from Sonny Gibbs to Buddy Iles.
• In six of the last nine odd-numbered years (2003, 2005, 2009, 2011, 2015, 2017), TCU has won at least 11 games.
- Over the last seven seasons, TCU has the Big 12’s third-best conference record (38-25) and overall mark (60-31).
- TCU is one of just seven programs nationally to finish with an Associated Press Top-10 final ranking in at least three of the last seven seasons (2014, 2015, 2017). The others are Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Penn State.
- TCU Head Coach Gary Patterson, at 21 seasons, is the nation’s second-longest tenured head coach, trailing only Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz (23rd year).
- Since Patterson took over at TCU, all other FBS programs in Texas have had at least four head coaches.
- Patterson has released two music singles in which he wrote and provided lead vocals on, “Take A Step Back” and “Game On.”
- TCU’s 34-32 win over Cal improved its record to 8-0 under Patterson against Pac-12 opponents.
- TCU was recently the practice site for three weeks for the New Orleans Saints, who were displaced due to Hurricane Ida.
- The Saints were the third NFL team in the last 11 years to practice at TCU. The Dallas Cowboys have utilized the Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility, while TCU was the host practice site for the Pittsburgh Steelers during Super Bowl XLV in Arlington.
- Since it began Big 12 play in 2012, TCU has had over $400 million in donor-funded athletics facilities upgrades. The most recent project was the $113 million Legends Club & Suites which opened in Fall 2020 on the east side of Amon G. Carter Stadium.