GAME 5: at Texas Tech
DATE: Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021
TIME: 6 p.m.
LOCATION: Lubbock, Texas (Jones AT&T Stadium)
SERIES RECORD: Texas Tech leads, 32-28-3
LAST MEETING: TCU 34, Texas Tech 18 (2020)
TV: ESPN (Mark Jones, Robert Griffin III, Quint Kessenrich)
SPANISH RADIO: Zona MX 99.1 FM (Miguel Cruz, Elvis Gallegos)
ABOUT THE GAME
• After opening a season with four consecutive home games for just the second time in its history, TCU makes its first road trip of 2021 when it travels to Lubbock to face Texas Tech on Saturday at 6 p.m.
• Since TCU began Big 12 play in 2012, the road team has won six of nine games in the series.
• TCU’s last three trips to Jones AT&T Stadium (2015, 55-52; 2017, 27-3; 2019, 33-31) mark the only time in program history it has won consecutive games in Lubbock.
• TCU Head Coach Gary Patterson and Texas Tech Head Coach Matt Wells first crossed paths in Logan, Utah. Patterson was the secondary coach at Utah State from 1992-94. It overlapped with Wells’ first three seasons as an Aggies’ quarterback (1992-96).
• The game marks a Homecoming for TCU sophomore wide receiver Blair Conwright, who totaled 105 receptions for 1,540 yards and 25 TDs as a senior at Lubbock’s Coronado High School.
• Since 2009, TCU is tied for fifth nationally with 44 road wins. The Horned Frogs are 44-20 (.688) in that stretch.
• TCU’s 52-26 record (.667) in road and neutral-site games since 2009 is seventh-best nationally.
• TCU’s 34-19 mark (.635) in conference road games since 2009 is tied for 11th-best in the FBS.
• Texas Tech holds a 32-28-3 edge over TCU in the all-time series that began with a 28-16 Horned Frogs’ win in Fort Worth in 1926.
• TCU is 8-18-3 versus the Red Raiders in Lubbock but on a three-game winning streak. The Horned Frogs are 20-14 against Texas Tech in Fort Worth.
• Texas Tech Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach Sonny Cumbie served in an OC role at TCU the previous seven sevens (2014-20).
• TCU Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Coach Chad Glasgow was Tech’s DC in 2011.
• Texas Tech Associate Head Coach/Special Teams coordinator Mark Tommerdahl was TCU’s tight ends/special teams coach from 1998-00, Gary Patterson’s three seasons as the Frogs’ defensive coordinator.
• Jake Brown, in an offensive quality control position at Texas Tech, was at TCU four years in two different stints (2014-16, 2018) under Patterson.
DID YOU KNOW?
• Texas Tech Offensive Coordinator Sonny Cumbie has been on both sides of scoring history in the TCU-Texas Tech series.
• As TCU’s Co-OC, he helped lead the Horned Frogs to single-game TCU and Big 12 scoring records with an 82-27 victory over the Red Raiders in 2014.
• The most points ever allowed by TCU under Gary Patterson was in 2004, when Cumbie was the starting quarterback for Texas Tech in its 70-35 win.
• Over the last seven seasons, TCU has the Big 12’s third-best conference record (38-26) and overall mark (60-32).
• TCU is one of just seven programs nationally to finish with an Associated Press Top-10 final ranking in at least three of the last seven seasons (2014, 2015, 2017). The others are Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Penn State.
• TCU Head Coach Gary Patterson, at 21 seasons, is the nation’s second-longest tenured head coach, trailing only Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz (23rd year).
• During Patterson’s time at TCU, all other FBS programs in Texas have had at least four head coaches.• Patterson has released two music singles in which he wrote and provided lead vocals on, “Take A Step Back” and “Game On.”
• TCU’s 34-32 win over Cal improved its record to 8-0 under Patterson against Pac-12 opponents.
• Zach Evans has topped 100 yards rushing in three straight games and leads all active players nationally in career yards per carry average at 7.7.