FanPost

TCU a home underdog against Texas

TCU is often considered one of the powerhouses of the Big 12, once mentioned along Oklahoma and Texas as one of the best programs in the country. Yet, they've never really lived up to it.

They've only on 1 Big 12 title in team history, 2014, and they've only played in one new years 6 bowls since joining the conference. Winning the Peach Bowl in 2014 against Ole Miss. They never really lived up to promise that 2014 season showed.

With Texas and Oklahoma set to leave for the SEC soon, they only have a limited time to prove that they really deserve to be mentioned as an elite program on par with them. That starts with a game against Texas this Saturday.

Odds

They might be playing in Fort Worth, but oddsmakers still don't like TCU's chances. The Horned Frogs are 4.5 point underdogs, and they're given +165 odds to win the game outright. That's an implied 37.7% chance to win the game. Meanwhile, Texas is given -165 odds, or an implied 62.3% chance to take home a road victory.

Not the odds TCU was hoping for heading into this matchup to say the least.

Matchup History

Texas and TCU have a long history, their rivalry spans back to 1897 and they've played each other 91 times. Historically, Texas has owned this rivalry, with TCU winning just 27 times. However, that pattern has changed in recent years.

TCU has won the last two and six of their last seven games against Texas. They haven't lost at home since 2013. In fact, that loss in 2013 is the only loss TCU has had at home against Texas since 1994. So, while TCU certainly hasn't loved this rivalry historically, they have loved it recently.

Conclusion

This isn't TCU's best team. They barley escaped with a victory over Cal and then lost to SMU in Fort Worth. The good news is that TCU's offense has been explosive and that should be enough to keep them in the game against Texas.

The question is, for how long? The hope would be they could outscore Texas and Casey Thompson, but after they put up a 70 spot on Texas Tech last week that just doesn't seem like a winning strategy. It'll be interesting to see what Gary Patterson schemes up this weekend because they're going to need a good game plan to have a hope in this one.

All comments, FanPosts, and FanShots are the views of the reader-authors who create them.